Thursday, January 31, 2008

PINK

I have to admit, it has taken me a long, long time to warm up to the color pink. I've resisted it for as long as I remember. Maybe it's because I've always been more androgynous than feminine in my ways, but looking back 20-10-even 5 years ago, if someone would have told me how much pink is in my everyday life now, I never would have believed it. Now, having a girl who loves pink, I have learned from her to accept it. Maybe I've learned that it doesn't always have to accompany frilly things, and that it's found in many beautiful natural images. I wouldn't go so far as to say I like pink, particularly, but I don't resist it anymore. In fact, I find it woven through my fingers these days on a regular basis, as I knit a poncho for my dear Mali. This time of year, thinking about Valentines day is a good time to be accepting of pink, since it abounds everywhere we go. I'm fine with that now, but only if it's as okay for boys as it is for girls. I guess what I've really been resisting all this time is that pink defines girlhood and the feminine spirit. To me, it doesn't, but it IS a pretty color.



5 comments:

gwama said...

Beautiful, Kate.

Suze said...

I'm the same way about pink. And of course, as you might imagine, pink stuff has been flowing in the house since we now have a baby girl! I almost never wear pink myself, but I have to remember there are good pinks and bad pinks :)

Anonymous said...

i bought a pair of pink pants today.


for myself.

yes, i did.

Jen said...

I just bought pink candles for Valentine's Day.

AnnaMarie said...

I feel you, Katie. I've grown to really appreciate pink, too, and am sad that it looks awful on me.

(and as an aside, we bought Sophie her first pair of Chuck Taylors this weekend and yes, they are pink)