Thursday, February 08, 2007

KATIE'S DECISION

I am considering taking a new path career wise, and I thought I'd post about it, so that all of you reading can give me your sound advice! Also, writing this out helps me to process all of it. Here's the deal:

Over the years, I've become more and more interested in developing curriculum -- first for early childhood music, and also a music curriculum for the special needs population in the schools. I started looking into advanced degree programs in curriculum and instruction and got excited about it. I've been back and forth, feeling like it's not what would take me where I want to go, and then feeling like yes, it could. At this point, I'm feeling fairly confident that pursuing this would take me to a gratifying place workwise. What I'm looking at is either a EdD (doctorate of education) or a PhD in Education, specializing in curriculum and instruction. What I dream about doing with this is:

1. Write an early childhood music curriculum
2. Develop a music curriculum for special needs students
3. Provide music consultation for schools and research groups
4. Maybe someday teach at the univsersity level, but I'm not there yet
5. Conduct research in music and early childhood development

Phew! That's the first I've written up a list like that, and it feels good!

So, once I figure out that this would be a worthy investment for me, I have yet to figure out which program (online or ground, and then which school) and when. The most appealing right now is to do an online program while I'm at home with the girls, and to be ready or close to ready to work when Mark's done here. But, the issue is, does that mean I'm compromising quality of education? And will that matter when I'm facing the job market? I really do feel like I'm pursuing this in order to gain the skills that I want to reach these goals, not so much for the purpose of adding a degree. But what I don't know is whether that will matter when I'm looking for a job -- will they be more concerned about what degree I have and from where?

Anyway, thanks for listening. I'd welcome any advice you all have for me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie

It seems to me like that is something that would be pretty rewarding. I mean you seem excited about even the details of your goal and very few people have that.
I did want to tell you that the online classes I took were pretty hard for me. It may simply be how I learn. See I loved hearing lectures and sitting on a desk taking notes and absorbing information. The internet required that I do a lot of individual research, reading, and processing. Terry on the other hand used to to exactly the opposite in medical school. He did not attend class but preffered reading the material on his own from the comfort of home. I still think there is a great benefit to interacting with colleagues but I think you can still arrange that.

Anyhow, I think you are absolutely right that few employers would care about how you got your degree.

Good luck to you.

PS I really enjoy you blog.

Zeina

Suze said...

boy am i not an expert in this area, so i could just be blowing hot air here, but i think if you really know what you want to do, the degree (and the institution from which you obtain it) won't matter to a potential employer as much as the work you've done. it's neat to see you so excited about this.

AnnaMarie said...

First of all, how great that you're passionate about doing something - and that you have the ability to do it! I think few people have the moxie to follow through with their passion! The bottom line is, this is something you want to do. If the online classes aren't what you're looking for, take the credit and go on to a more traditional setting. There is nothing permanent about beginning the process.
I don't think any employer would look down of you for taking classes on line, just make sure the institution is accredited.