This is a word I like to emphasize on MLK day. This year, I didn't have to bring it up because Mali did. Compassion is something that seems to run through this child's veins. She is naturally and keenly aware of the feelings and struggles of other people. She cries when she hears the song about the ugly dinosaur who has no friends or the one about the bunny who can't find her mama. I have sheltered her from much of the hardships of the world because she is especially sensitive to it.
This year, we are at my parents' house for MLK day. My sister did an amazing job of organizing a benefit lunch for an organization in NOLA. The food was amazing, the children's program was great, and the crowds poured in. It was inspiring to me as an adult. Those of you who know Wendy (my sister) know that this is her thing. She is touched by a cause and gets determined to make a difference. And then, well, she does. She can pull off a major feat in a small period of time and in a small town. She can network and reach lots of people and convince them to care. Of course, I admire her greatly for this. I wonder if she knows, however, that she inspires the young ones too. On the morning of MLK day, Mali pulled me aside and said, "Mama, I know I've been excited about spending my tooth fairy money, but I want to give it to Aunt Wendy's lunch." What could make a Mama more proud? So, when we went to the benefit lunch, Mali carefully opened the sealed envelope and put her quarter into the collection plate. She looked proud herself. That night, I told her that I was proud of her decision to give her money to the people who need it in New Orleans. She said, "I want to have a booth." I said, "Oh really, what do you mean?" and she said, "Every Martin Luther King day I want to set up a booth with a line of glass jars. Each jar will be for someone who doesn't have enough money. People can put money in whichever jar they want when they pass by. One of the jars will be to take to church for the people who need money there."
So now, I am facing the task of figuring out how to honor this compassionate request, and at the same time make sure it's successful and doesn't break her heart. I have about a year, but I'll take suggestions.



2 comments:
Beautiful
Angel!
Post a Comment