GRETA-ISMS
To record a few things Greta has said this summer:
On human development:
"Mama, when I was two, I didn't understand about sharing because I thought that if someone took something from me, they would keep it and never give it back. Now that I am four, I have figured out how to share."
Greta has also turned a corner in her behavior just this summer. She was in her full-fledged 3 stage when she refused to do as we asked, and refused to be helpful. The other day, she told me:
"When I was 3, I thought I couldn't do things to be helpful. I thought they were too hard, and I had to be 6 like Mali to do them. But, I figured out that now I can do them, and I also figured out that if I do something to help an adult, the adult might do something for me too!"
Thank you, Kristin, for reminding me of this one:
You know the egocentrism of a 3-year-old? It's normal and appropriate, but when your 3-year-old talks like Greta, it's easy to forget she's 3. So, it was annoying for Mark, when in the store, Greta started saying, "You know, I am amazing." Mark at first replied, "Yes, you are." But then, she continued on, "No, I am really amazing." Mark said something like, "Okay, Greta." Again she said, "I am so amazing." After several repeats of this, Mark said in exasperation, "Yes, Greta, you are amazing. Now please stop saying that." Greta promptly responded, "Well, adults are kinda amazing, but I am really amazing!" On and on and on. Sometimes we just keep saying "mmmhmm" while her mouth keeps going. (we love you, Greta! you are amazing!)
On the presence of God (which, as you know, is not something Mark and I regularly talk about : ))
At the cabin, Greta was twirling and skipping, and she said, "I'm like God, and the whole world is in my hands." I said, "Hmm, what is that like?" and she said "it's all dancing, Mama, it's all dancing."
Then, gazing out the window as we were coming upon Bluffton, Greta said, "This is God's land, Mama. We're in God's land."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
oh. my.
do you know that we still tell and retell greta's "amazing" story? in cranky moments at home, it is sure to get a smile from all involved.
thanks. i've updated the post to include the "amazing" story!
I LOVE that "amazing" story! She is SUCH a HOOT!!!
I needed to hear all that about some else's amazing 3 yr old to be reminded that mine is amazing too, even if he is currently driving me nuts.
Post a Comment