Saturday, May 31, 2008

SURVIVAL TOOLS

Every once in awhile Mark has weekend requirements at school. He takes a business class that meets on weekends, and his pediatric certification program takes place on weekends. This weekend is one of those. Yesterday, the girls tolerated one grumpy, irritable Mama, and I tolerated what seemed like unending whines and cries.

Knowing today would be another day alone, and knowing that I had to somehow keep perspective, I thought ahead about what we would need. This is what I came up with: full bellies and creativity. So far, it's worked pretty well. We made playdough, which was a lot of fun and highly entertaining. I took time to myself by hanging laundry in the sun and smelling the heat coming right off the clothes. We all have kept our bellies full. So far, the blanket of lonliness that I was afraid of has not descended. Instead of longing for the days we lived in cohousing, and I could walk outside to be with people, I have tried to savor the solitude of a cup of decaf on the porch.

Many of you probably have some tried and true recipes for playdough. We used a new one this time, and it was hugely successful. This is what it involves:

Mix together 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup salt, 2 T. oil, 1 cup water, 2 t. cream of tartar, and 1 package Koolaid in a pan.



Heat over medium and stir till thick.



Mix in glitter, if you choose.



Play!



Mali said, "I love you, Mama, and this is how I'll show you."



Greta sang "Happy Birthday" to me as she admired the cake she made.



These are much kinder words than any of us used yesterday. This is progress.

4 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

That is the best use of koolaide I have ever seen.

Hang in there, Katie! Remember, we're only 5 hours north with two spare bedrooms!!

gwama said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!
and oh, so wise.

kclblogs said...

The Koolaid was great! Not only did it make pretty colors, but it smelled good! My mom has a book about teaching kids to knit which involves dying the yarn with Koolaid, too. I've always wanted to try that, so maybe it will be next. One piece of advice: use the unsweetened version, since sugar can add stickiness.

Anonymous said...

oh, dear katie, you are inspiring again.

i think i will make koolaid playdoh.

maybe try tie-dying with koolaid (it's gotta work for as bad as it stains).

maybe dye my kids hair with koolaid.

keep that belly full, love, kristin