Thursday, February 14, 2008

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

This is a poem by Pablo Neruda (one of my favorite poets). I have kept this close to me for years, either tucked in my wallet or crumpled on the bedside cabinet.

TU RISA (Your Laughter)

Take bread away from me, if you wish,
take air away, but
do not take from me your laughter.

Do not take away the rose,
the lanceflower that you pluck,
the water that suddenly
bursts forth in your joy.
the sudden wave
of silver born in you.

My struggle can be harsh, and I come back
with eyes tired
at times from having seen
the unchanging earth,
but when your laughter enters
it rises to the sky seeking me
and it opens for me all
the doors of life.

Next to the sea in the autumn,
your laughter must raise
its foamy cascade,
and in the spring, love,
I want your laughter like
the flower I was waiting for,
the blue flower, the rose
of my echoing country.

Laugh at the night,
at the day, at the moon,
laugh at the twisted
streets of the island,
laugh at this clumsy
(girl) who loves you,
but when I open
my eyes and close them,
when my steps go,
when my steps return,
deny me bread, air,
light, spring,
but never your laughter
for I would die.

5 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Mmmm... I love that. I'm adding it to my collection. And I love Pablo Neruda. Have you read Rumi?

kclblogs said...

Oh, my yes. Rumi and Hafiz (another Sufi poet) are favorites, too.

gwama said...

Beautiful, Kate. I wish I wrote that!

Jen said...

Thanks for this reminder....

Anonymous said...

Katie, thanks for sharing this poem. We seem to have such similar taste in poetry!

~Suzanne