The true sign that summer is here in my family has always been strawberry jam! A tradition that brings back many memories for me -- going to the berry farm with my Grossmama, just down the street from her house. . . picking in the hot sun, washing and stemming and smashing and stirring and pouring. The red stains under my fingernails from our picking this morning remind me of those times just as much as the sights of the red red berries and the taste of a fresh, juicy berry and the smells of making the jam. As we were picking in the field this morning, I was thinking of these fond memories, and Mali said, "I used to pick strawberries with Grandma and make them into strawberry jam." Mali often reads my mind. I just smiled and said, "me too."



We had a perfect day, with an overcast morning to pick (truly a blessing in this heat) and rain showers as soon as we were done and ready to rest.



5 comments:
What a lovely day....and tell me about your countertops! Are they bamboo?
Jen CD
Our countertops? Well, they're an ugly fake butcher block. If we could fund it, that'd be the first thing to be replaced, as well as the backsplash and dark cabinets! Can you tell how much I'd love to redo our kitchen? It has some nice potential. . . just some options that I would not have chosen!
That picture of Greta speaks VOLUMES!! You guys have such beautiful days together. It makes me excited for the future!
Hi, Katie!
Just wanted to let you know that I found your blog and it's been a joy catching up on your life as a mama. I especially like your friend's post about motherhood. Hey, and maybe I'll be joining face-book soon. It looks like a lot of fun! :)
~Suzanne
Great to know you've found us here, Suzanne! I, too, have had a wonderful time "reconnecting" in a way with your extended family and your various blogs and facebook pages. Seeing Amia grow through the eyes of all her caring relatives has been fun. She looks like a happy, lively girl!
Post a Comment