This month, I have especially enjoyed making this baked oatmeal recipe. It is a modified version of a recipe in the great cookbook, Simply in Season. I changed the raisins to cherries and the walnuts to toasted pecans.

Baked Oatmeal
Preheat oven to 350.
Combine:
2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup dried cherries
3 Tablespoons chopped toasted pecans
In a separate bowl, combine:
1 cup milk
1/2 cup applesauce
2 T. oil
1 egg
Mix dry and wet ingredients together and pour into a greased 8X8 pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until done. Serve with warm milk.



3 comments:
I'm going to make this! There is no flour involved!
and it reminds me of Camp Friedenswald.
Love!
Jen CD
Arrrrrrghhhhhhhh! I got up early to make this....so tempted by your description....and we were out of oats.
Are you still making bread? We have not bc I am off wheat......I miss that time with Abby though.....maybe need to make something else. However, there is nothing quite so cozy as baking, which is difficult to do without wheat. I know there are alternatives, but they are very expensive.
Next time,
Jen CD
No we haven't been doing anything regular, since we've been away lately.
You could make granola. That's what Mali's been wanting to make, because she likes the pictures in the Moosewood for kids cookbook!
Good luck. I agree that baking bread has an unusual coziness about it.
Post a Comment