You would not believe how complicated it is to adopt a cat in a big city!! Or, at least I couldn't believe it. Since Santa fulfilled Mali's request for a real kitty, we started the search after the New Year. Many hours were spent looking on craigslist, in classifieds, at pet stores, and shelters. I was shocked at how difficult the process was. . . how hard it was to find a kitty. Then when we did find one, how we had to get on the "waiting list" sometimes with 20 other applicants! Then, the application was incredible thorough, with references, a report of your pet history, your detailed plans for caring for the kitty, a promise to do all the appropriate vet care within 2 weeks (with a fax from your vet to prove it), and finally agreeing to someone coming to check on the kitty in a month or two! Some places, especially foster homes for kittens told us they wouldn't adopt to us unless we took two, since kittens need playmates so badly and unless we promised that they would be indoor-only kittens.
It made me think back on my childhood, when we had lots of different cats. I just remember going to a farm and picking one out and taking it home. Then it was our business what happened after that! I guess these folks have just seen too many terrible inhumane situations. But geez! I was beginning to feel like our family wasn't fit to care for a cat!
Anyway, after a day of driving all over the city to look at kittens, and having no luck whatsoever (besides being 3rd or 4th or 20th in line!), we came home all of us frustrated. The next day, I looked at the updated petfinder list and saw that a litter of kittens had been dropped off at a shelter about 40 minutes away. Since Mark's mom is still here, I left the kids with her and took off! Sure enough, by the time I got there, all the kittens were gone.
However, I was drawn to another kitten that was older than what we were looking for (6 months). He was playful and engaging and a purring machine when picked up. Needless to say, he won my heart and came home with me. Since he's been in our home, he's been a funny, relaxed, playful joy of a kitten. We (even Mark, who was a very hard sell) all love him and enjoy his company. He cuddles with each of us and loves when Mali reads him books and Greta sings him songs. We are glad he came into our lives. We have decided to keep him inside, more for the lovely birds outside our window than for any fear we have for his life outside!
So, here's a picture of the girls enjoying Jack, and another one of Jack enjoying his new home!




1 comment:
Ooh, I love that kitty - he's so cute! Not as cute as those girls, but cute nonetheless.
Love,
Amy, Punky, and Chez
Post a Comment